[Portland] command line interface inconsistancies

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Tue Jun 6 02:12:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:16:50PM -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> I have improved the presentation of the command line options in the
> man-page. Each different action now has a synopsis line of itself. Most
> of them are now along the lines of
> 	xdg-comand --action [--option xxx] --option yyy FILE
>
> See
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/portland/portland/xdg-utils/scr
> ipts/html/xdg-mime.html for an example. Note that the scripts themselves
> haven't been updated accordingly yet.
>
> Let me know what you think.

As mentioned in a previous email, `xdg-command action [--option] FILE`
is a more conventional style.  I would recommend using that in favor of
--action, as it may confuse the difference between actions and options.

> Xdg-screensaver ... drop "enable" and "disable" as options and
> remove the <delay> argument from "suspend" and default to 5 minutes.

Please explain why you feel this would improve the script.  I put these
in to maximize the usefulness of the script, and removing them could
risk making it not worthwhile to use.

> I'm
> also inclined to remove "restore" since I don't think it's really needed
> if the screensaver gets re-enabled after 5 min. anyway.

Actually, I would discourage removing that.  It is actually one of the
most useful functions in the package, because it is guaranteed to
"reset" the system to the starting state.  In other words, this is the
command applications will call when they terminate normally, in order to
put everything back the way before they started.

Also note that restore involves restoring several settings, not just
whether or not the screensaver is currently on or off.

Bryce