[Portland] xdg-menu from CVS requires DISPLAY-Variable set

Marcus Grassinger M.Grassinger at science-computing.de
Thu Jun 8 06:22:28 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I was testing the xdg-Technology-Preview for adding a menu-entry and
now switched to the current cvs-version.
In the CVS-version of xdg-menu, when my DESKTOP-Variable is unset or
when I'm not permitted to connect to X, then the script fails with
the following message when calling `xprop':

-------------
sles9dsk:/usr/local/src/xdg-utils-TP/cvsscripts/scripts # ./xdg-menu
install --system --vendor shinythings ../../webmirror.desktop
Xlib: No protocol specified

xprop:  unable to open display ':0.0'
[ ... usage-options ... ]

Since the xdg-menu-Script is sometimes invoked by an administrator
without X, this seems to be not very practical.
What do you guys think about that behaviour?

I'm using Suse EnterpriseServer9 Patchlevel 3 for testing-purposes.

Best regards,
  Marcus