[Portland] xdg-vfs

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Thu Jun 8 13:15:36 PDT 2006

Hi,

Now that i have almost finished the xdg-vfs backends for KIO and
Gnome-VFS (they support the major operations necessary for
file-management: get, put, cp, mv, rm, mkdir, rmdir, info, setattrs, ls,
openfildlg, savefildlg), there are some open questions:

1) URI-escaping: Should URIs be passed/printed in escaped (%xx) form or
not? (at the moment i think: no). Can someone please help me how to use
KURL / GnomeVFSURI for the particular case of a cli app dealing with URIs?

What's the desired behavior of:

$ xdg-vfs mkdir hello%20world

Is the newline-character a safe way for seperating URIs in the output?

And what about encodings?

2) Do you think i should link xdg-vfs in
http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/TaskVFS? I know that xdg-vfs is not
a pretty solution, but at least it's a starting point for a generic vfs
interface. I agree with Aaron J. Seigo that a library interface would be
better, but there is the problem with the event-loops.

3) Where to park the source-code of xdg-vfs?

4) What about file-dialogs? I think the current solution with
'xdg-file-dialog' or 'xdg-vfs openfiledialog' just won't work because
many applications need to customize filedialogs. In my opinion a VFS
interface like xdg-vfs should be 'used' by filedialogs rather than
providing them (that's why i also put functions like ls, mkdir,... into
xdg-vfs)

regards,
Norbert