[Portland] xdg-menu from CVS requires DISPLAY-Variable set

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Thu Jun 8 13:34:16 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 06:52:28AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 6/8/06, Marcus Grassinger <M.Grassinger at science-computing.de> wrote:
> >In the CVS-version of xdg-menu, when my DESKTOP-Variable is unset or
> >when I'm not permitted to connect to X, then the script fails with
> >the following message when calling `xprop':
>
> That sounds bad.  All the xdg install-time scripts
> should work in unattended, noninteractive situations
> where the X server is not running.

This is great to hear, as if xdg can do this it'll make automated
testing more feasible.  However, getting from here to there looks
non-trivial.  For instance, the screensaver script uses 'xset' to get
info about the screensaver settings.  If run on a box with no X, you get
the error  'xset:  unable to open display ""'

So...  other than just disabling the test/script(s) entirely if X is not
present, what else can be done?

Bryce