[Portland] SuSE's xdg-menu

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jun 12 22:12:36 PDT 2006

I was looking for a tool to convert xdg menu data to jwm window manager
(which I have not found yet). I found some webpages at Mandriva about
xdg-menu from SuSE.
http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MenuMigrationToXDG
http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/XDGMenuSystem

The xdg-menu at rpm find:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9.3/i386/suse/src/xdg-menu-0.2-52.src.html

According to rpmfind, here is a xdg-menu dating back to 2003:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9.0/i386/suse/i586/xdg-menu-0.1-25.i586.html

I haven't yet found the official xdg-menu webpage.

But it appears to be different software than yours but uses the same name
(before portland I believe).

I am just pointing this out, since mandriva, suse, probably novell and
others have an xdg-menu, so you may want to rename yours before your
official release.

Some ideas for you:

xdg-menu-system
xdg-application-menu
xdg-menu-installer
xdg-desktop-menu

(On a related note, xdg-desktop could be renamed to mention "icon" as part
of its name, like "xdg-desktop-icon".)

Thanks for your work on this. It is a good idea to have a "standard"
non-distro-specific project to provide these tools. (I need to test on
NetBSD too!)

 Jeremy C. Reed