[Portland] xdg-screensaver clarifications

Whipple, Tom tom.whipple at intel.com
Tue Jun 13 11:03:29 PDT 2006

All,

I want to clarify what xdg-screensaver is supposed to be doing.
Currently, its behavior on my system doesn't quite jive with what my
understanding is.

For the sake of discussion, let's say that the system setting is for the
screensaver to activate after 30 min and prompt for a password.

1. suspend - Is this supposed to (a) override the system config, or is
it supposed (b) to raise the limit. Ie "xdg-screensaver suspend 1s" has
no effect, but "xdg-screensaver suspend 45m" increases the delay?
(my system does (a))

2. activate - Should the user be prompted for a password after the
screensaver is activated by xdg-screensaver?
(my system does not prompt)

3. status - Does the status (a) reflect what the system is doing based
on xdg-commands, or (b) return true if the user's normal (xdg is not
involved) settings indicate that a screen saver should be used.
(my system seems to be doing something closer to (a))

(For those that are curious, I am running SUSE 10.0/Gnome 2.12.0.)

Based on clarifications of these questions, I intend to open bugs as
appropriate.

Thanks!

-tom