[Portland] Re: [Fwd: Re: Mime-typ Scribus?]

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 23:59:11 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 20:33 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >> I have previously suggested on the XDG list that the: "Icon=" variable
> >> in the 'desktop' file could have a list of possible icons, rather than
> >> just one to be searched for in order L2R.  It appears to me that this
> >> would give the most control over specific vs. generic MIME type icons.
> >
> > That would only work for application icons though, not for mime type
> > icons. Or am I missing something?
>
> This would work fine for KDE 3.x.y, but would need to be adapted to the
> new system.
>
> What I left out was exactly how to adapt the idea to the new MIME
> system.  I presume that since the first icon in the list has its name
> derived from the MIME type that it doesn't need to be explicitly listed.
>   So, my first thought is that the "<application>.xml" would have a list
> of alternate icons:
>
> 	<alternate icon="icon_1" />
> 	<alternate icon="icon_2" />
> 	<alternate icon="icon_3" />
>
> I didn't actually think about exactly what would be done with this
> information except that it should be used the same as if it was in the
> 'desktop' file.

This is pretty much what i proposed in my mail. "image-jpeg" would be
implicitly first in the list, and then you add generic icon names in the
xml and at the end there is the implicit name for the "image/*"
mimetype: "image-x-generic".

The only addition in my proposal is the way icons are looked up.
Basically you look up the whole list in each icon theme before looking
in the inherited theme. So, if your theme has a generic image icon but
no specific jpeg one you'll get the generic image icon from the matching
theme instead of the more specific one from an inherited theme (that
doesn't match the look).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a short-sighted zombie assassin on his last day in the job. She's a
plucky Bolivian bodyguard descended from a line of powerful witches. They
fight crime!