[Portland] Current plan summarized

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 15 18:46:53 EET 2006

On 3/15/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> Current DAPI approach
>
> application --marshalled API call--> DAPI daemon (service implementation)
>
> Your suggestion:
>
> application -- marshalled API call --> DBus  -- marshalled API call -->
> service implementation
>
> Using DBus as the transport actually has one daemon more, the DBus-Daemon.

If I recall properly, all new linux distros are going to have a DBus daemon
running anyway.  The system I'm running right now (Ubuntu 05.10) does.

> In both cases DEs can do the service implementation in an extra process, but
> don't have to, e.g. KDE could implement it as another kded module (i.e.
> plugin; kded is the KDE service daemon which is always present in KDE
> sessions)

Ah, I see, we're having a "should kde switch to dbus" argument without
realizing it.

That's not something we're going to resolve here, although which way
is best to go may depend on the answer.  (Don't you hate it when that happens?)
- Dan