[Portland] RE: xdg-email & xdg-open

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Wed Nov 15 22:24:32 PST 2006

>It's quite disappointing that Mozilla is imposing this "security"
feature
>instead of letting the originator (browser, other application) decide
>whether it trusts the URI's parts :(

I don't think applications should be burdened with this. An application
that just wants to open URI's that it encounters in some contents is
unlikely to be aware of the security implications of each and everyone
of these URIs. I think it's correct to say that the burden should be on
the application that wants to do a potentially "unsafe" action to clear
the needed hurdles. In this case the hurdle would be to call "xdg-email
--attach <file>" instead of adding the file in the URI.

>However, since this seems to be so important to them, it is something
>between them and their users. Thunderbird user will not expect
>automatically supplied attachments to work and user of other mail
clients
>are not affected.

Well, Thunderbird is rapidly becoming the most popular Linux mail client
(see e.g. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7023 and
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8520 ) so a solution that doesn't
take Thunderbird into account isn't much of a solution I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Waldo