[Portland] gnomevfs-info

Per Olofsson pelle at debian.org
Mon Sep 11 14:43:21 PDT 2006

Kevin Krammer:
> On Monday 11 September 2006 22:52, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>
> > Euhm... I just do an installation and press "Enter" as much as possible
> > and end up with a Gnome desktop that way. I believe "desktop" was
> > pre-selected somewhere along the way. (I use the netinstall CD)
>
> Ah, right, I forgot that Etch will have a new installer.
> I guess this is equivalent to the desktop task, which IIRC installs GNOME and
> KDE (using GDM as the preferred login manager)

It's still the desktop task, but the installer has some heuristics
which auto-select the desktop task if it is determined that the user
will likely want a desktop installation (it does some hardware
queries).

> > Right, so the issue will correct itself once xdg-utils 1.0 has released
> > and Debian starts to include xdg-utils by default. I guess it's not a
> > big deal then.
>
> We better wait for Per to comment on it, he's the packager, I'm just a user :)

As you said, it's only a Suggests because a Depends would be too
strong. I hope libgnomevfs-bin will be added to the default desktop
installation though.

As for xdg-utils, it has been added to the desktop task in tasksel's
SVN now, so it will likely be included in default etch installs.

--
Pelle