[Portland] xdg-utils beta4 available

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Sep 14 22:41:28 PDT 2006

Beta4 of xdg-utils is available from http://portland.freedesktop.org/
The biggest change since beta3 is the new command line syntax for
xdg-desktop-menu, in particular it's now no longer necassery to provide
a *.menu snippet in order to create your own submenu. See
http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0beta4/xdg-desktop-menu.html

A quick run of the testsuite on a few distributions shows that things
are in quite a good shape. See

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&version=b
eta4&product=Portland&component=test-report

The two remaining issues that hold up a 1.0 release are:

*	support for SVG icons is not very widespread since it has only
been added to relative recent desktop versions. Should we drop support
for SVG icons from xdg-icon-resource?

*	support for gnome 2.8, which still seems to use a
pre-fdo-menu-spec vfolder menu implementation, is still missing. With
the new xdg-desktop-menu syntax it shouldn't be too hard to add that and
I will do in the next few days.

Apart from that, the registration of mimetypes still seems a bit
unreliable. I don't think there is a big issue there but there may be a
race-condition in the tests due to caching effects. I also noticed that
Gnome doesn't automatically make an application the default handler for
a certain mimetype when that application is the only application to
support that mimetype. Should xdg-utils automatically register
applications as the default handler if there wasn't a default handler
set already?

Your continued feedback as well as submissions of beta4 testreports is
highly appreciated.

Waldo Bastian

Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology

Channel Platform Solutions Group

Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/opensource
<http://www.intel.com/opensourcego/linux>

OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman