[Portland] Mechanism for mapping file extension to mime type?

Adam B cruxic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:26:05 PST 2008

Hello all you glorious abstractors,

I've got a pet project where I need to guess the mime type of a file based
upon it's name extension - without actually reading the contents of the
file.  As far as I can tell xdg-mime inspects the contents of the file.  I
need something much faster so I can process thousands of these file names in
very little time.

(And yes I realize that there is not a 1:1 correspondence between extension
and mime type - I just need a best guess).

Much thanks.
- Adam