[Portland] xdg-open and rox

Ralf Treu smuf at emptiness.de
Sun May 4 14:50:10 PDT 2008

[ I finally managed to join the mailing list, so maybe you already got
this mail without me realizing. if so, sorry.]

Hey *,

I wrote a small patch for xdg-open 1.0.2 that adds support for the rox
filer.

Since only the famous DEs support file management for the user's needs I
thought those with minor WMs like me with fluxbox, who use the rox
filer, could use xdg-open as well.

This is especially important because one can use for example the
tracker-search-applet in *box which uses xdg-open. Even to people who
don't want to use the rox filer it would be a nice quick hack to be able
to use xdg-open since it is much more comfortable to install rox without
using it then install gnome/kde/xfce without using it.

When rox is called with a path to a folder it opens the folder in rox,
when called with a path to a certain file it directly opens the user's
preferred application to display that file. piece of cake, at least for
me who now finally is able to use tracker-search-applet in fluxbox.
Thought maybe it's interesting for others as well.

cheers
Ralf