[Portland] Fwd: [Desktop_architects] Querying desktop settings like default browser and proxy configuration

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 21:28:46 PDT 2009

A common configuration system is needed.
Only proxy settings and default browser, which is quite simple and
short, are store in a plain text file. Other system configurations can
still goes to their own configuration system.
Otherwise, exposing those configs via XSettings daemon is another option.

Or, having a common dbus interface used to query config values from
different desktop environments seems to be yet another option.
Wrapper scripts seem to solve the problem partially for now in a dirty way.
In the long run, however, this can only cause more problems and make
things more complicated. How can you deal with desktop environments
other than Gnome and KDE?

It's PORTland, not GNOME/KDEland. How about other desktop
environments? Problems should be solved in a really cross-desktop way.