[Promotion] Hello, my name is John

Quim Gil qgil at desdeamericaconamor.org
Mon Feb 27 01:11:38 PST 2006

I just re-read this paragraph...

En/na David Neary ha escrit:

> The most important message we have to send is that in our current stage
> of development, "marketing GNOME" mans marketing the open source
> desktop. A rising tide floats all boats. This list is a symbol of the
> recognition in free software desktops that we are not each other's
> competition. Microsoft and MacOS are our competition, and we have a
> better chance of gaining on them if we start working together.

I'm happy with bringing this idea in practical terms and actions.

There must be something to learn from i.e. the bicycle industry.

They sponsor and lobby with grassroots assotiations in order to get more
cycling infrastructures in the cities, they promote mountain bike
magazines and competitions, they push with corporations in order to get
more TV minutes of Tour de France, they seduce the Science journalist
with futuristic prototypes... The battle of 'which city bike is better
(for me)' is exposed only to the users facing the purchase of a bike,
the rest of possible users just see more bicicles everywhere.

We could do something similar. Make sure citizens see more free desktops
everywhere. Then each project leaves a percentage of marketing energies
to define/position itself, helping users to make the right choice for them.

This implies we assume that desktop A is not better than B or C, but
different. And this is possibly the necessary kernel for a
collaborative, non-competitive efficient marketing strategy.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org