[Promotion] features (was: What is the objective of both organisations)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jan 23 13:11:54 PST 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 18:14, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> 2006/1/23, Santiago Roza <santiago.roza at thymbra.com>:
> > i don't say we should be promoting 5000 features, but why limit
> > ourselves to just one?
>
> If we are on the subject of "features": What you all think about
> "workspaces" as a feature? I have seen consultants disabling
> workspaces because they thought they were confusing users (probably
> because they do not exist on Windows and Mac).
>
> Maybe the question I am trying to ask is how to promote "uncommon"
> features, or "common" features from the free desktop perspective. We
> could make a list of features that we all share. I think workspaces
> could be considered as one. I trhink workspaces can be handled better
> than tabs by most users, also I do admit that many people have
> problems with it and they open applications more than once if I use
> workspaces on their desktops and leave them alone with it again.

Frankly, I think it does not make too much sense to talk about which features
to promote right now. Those are very dependent on the markets you want to
enter, and AFAIK there has not been done significant work to find out what
these markets are and how their characteristics can be used to find entry
points for the free desktop.

We have a long way to go, and finding out about key features will be somewhere
after 70%, roughly estimated. :-)
--
sebas

You can never do just one thing. - Hardin