[Promotion] Research proposal

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 16 08:46:16 PST 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 10:16, Tom Chance wrote:
> We discussed doing some collaborative research on the KDE marketing list
> and came up with the following as a possible starting point. What do people
> think? How could/should we go about doing this sort of research?
>
> We've tried to get both meaningful data on target markets, based upon the
> market segmentation analysis from KDE and GNOME, and to get useful feedback
> from users with specific and open ended questions.

Additionally to the end users, distributors questions, it might be useful to
gather some data from developers. They're an important target group for us as
well. Here's a first stab for a couple of questions:

- Who are our developers, hobby hackers or company employees?
- How does this develop over time?
- If hobby hackers, why are they working on the free desktop, do they just
  like writing code, out of a political agenda ("freedom"), in short, what are
  their motivations?
- If companies are employing developers, why is that?

Some of those questions might be answered by some educated guesswork, but not
all of them.
--
sebas

 http://www.kde.nl | http://vizZzion.org |  GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Do you know the difference between education and experience?  Education is
what you get when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when
you don't. - Pete Seeger