[Promotion] Women in FLOSS day?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 13:17:37 PST 2006

Hi Thilo,

First, thanks for this great idea.

On Thursday 02 November 2006 18:16, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> Hi, I want to suggest that we try to announce a common "Women in
> FLOSS"-day. I think this could be make more vital by the groups:
> Ubuntu Women, Debian Women, KDE Women, GNOME Women, Fedora Women ,...
>
> This could be a day of action and may rise much more public awareness
> for both: Free/Libre Open Source as well as for Womens issues. The
> problem is that women are a minority, but many women are less
> minority. If they are few and if the argument like the ones on
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen are the right one, that it would be
> good if many women in FLOSS projects would meet to discuss and act.
>
> And I think that this will also be to the benefit of the awareness for
> a free desktop. I think free software is also emancipation! :-)

I think Donna, my colleague and pretty active in the female part of the Free
Software world might have some input, or at the very least wants to know
about this.

There are some more people we might want to get involved, for example Mr Olson
(who's on this list last time I checked), Anne Ostergard who spoke at aKademy
this year and a couple of others.

Cheers,
--
sebas, who's in a hurry at the moment and therefore sorry for the brief reply

Designing for 90% of browsers is our policy? Here's a question. If I answered
10% of the sales calls with 'Hello [companyname], could you please f***
off"', how would that affect our sales? - Seen in Argument over web
standards.