[Promotion] Women in FLOSS day?

Tink tink at svn.net
Thu Nov 2 15:36:38 PST 2006

At 19:33 +0000 11/02/06, Tom Chance wrote about Re: [Promotion] Women
in FLOSS day?:

|Ahoy,
|
|On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:16, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
|> Hi, I want to suggest that we try to announce a common "Women in
|> FLOSS"-day. I think this could be make more vital by the groups:
|> Ubuntu Women, Debian Women, KDE Women, GNOME Women, Fedora Women ,...
|
|I like the idea.
|
|I wonder if we could think of something concrete to accompany the
|announcement? For example KDE recently held a party to celebrate it's 10th
|birthday... the photos and guest list added weight and interest to a story
|that could otherwise seem quite bland. Not that I think women in FLOSS is a
|bland story, but that it doesn't seem like an news story.
|
|Some awards? Some examples of recent contributions? Along similar lines, some
|interviews with key people from a number of projects? Not great ideas, anyone
|got any?

As a women I'm interested in a FLOSS day. I'm just wondering why you
think it's bland, I don't think it's bland at all? Maybe not
interesting enough for men but than again men are not the target
group. Personally I don't think it needs all those extras, women who
are active in FLOSS do not need the 'wow' factor of big names and
awards, they probably just want to get together and discuss.

To me a meeting with big names and awards means only one thing, it's
a cover up for a poor agenda. Big names tend to get all the attention
and that's I guess that not what this proposal is all about. For me
it would be a reason not to attend.

I agree on Anne, she'll be essential for such a meeting.

--
Tink Bastian
Portland, OR