[Promotion] Women in FLOSS day?

Thilo Pfennig tpfennig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:02:03 PST 2006

2006/11/3, Tink <tink at svn.net>:

> As a women I'm interested in a FLOSS day. I'm just wondering why you
> think it's bland, I don't think it's bland at all? Maybe not
> interesting enough for men but than again men are not the target
> group. Personally I don't think it needs all those extras, women who
> are active in FLOSS do not need the 'wow' factor of big names and
> awards, they probably just want to get together and discuss.

Yeah, there we start with the discussion and and immediately see why
such thing is important and also important that women define what the
day really is about. About that men are not target group - sure this
should be a day for women from women, but I suppose men are as far a
target as the issues like this also should raise awareness to issues
that women have. Women should be heard more and if they are more
visible men will change their attitude maybe and this could also be
one goal ins etting up such a day. But maybe this will only be one
side affect. We'll see...

Interesting question would also be what day to choose? Just a
suggestion but why not something in relation to Ada Lovelace, as she
wrote first computer program ever?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

Thilo

--