[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio on Windows XP

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Mon Aug 14 01:29:40 PDT 2006

Adam Scarr wrote:
> Hi, Im setting up a small sound server here, it has 2 sound cards in
> it a Yamaha DS-XG and onboard. Both cards work properly under windows
> XP. Ive also had them running indiviually through alsa under debian.
>
> Firstly a question, is it possible to combine cards under windows, if
> so how? It dosent seem that waveout module supports any kind of device
> selection.

True. This isn't supported right now. Unfortunately I do not have a
machine with two cards so that I can properly test it. If you're willing
to be a guinea pig, I might be able to fix something.

> Secondly, why dosent pulseaudio 1.9.2-2 work on any of my Windows
> boxes (one is 2000, one is XP).
>
> C:\pulseaudio>pulseaudio -nC
> pulsecore/random.c: failed to get proper entropy. Falling back to seeding w
> urrent time.
> FIXME: pa_make_secure_dir()
> pulsecore/core-util.c: WARNING: Only sockets can be made non-blocking!
> pulse/mainloop.c: WARNING: cannot monitor non-socket file descriptors.
> pulsecore/core-util.c: WARNING: Only sockets can be made non-blocking!
> pulse/mainloop.c: WARNING: cannot monitor non-socket file descriptors.
>
> And it hangs there not allowing me to do anything until i ctrl-c it dead.

The command line isn't supported on Windows because select() doesn't
work properly on that platform. To use it you need to load some TCP
based modules and control it via them.

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com