[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA pulse plugin & SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED

Ermanno Scaglione erm67 at yahoo.it
Tue Aug 21 23:39:11 PDT 2007

I am using pulseaudio, with the pulse ALSA plugin, to manage sounds on
my system, almost everything works except fo a game (hexen2) which gives
me the following error:

Sound Initialization
ALSA: Using device: default
ALSA: unable to set interleaved access. Invalid argument
Failed initializing sound

I tracked down the relevant part in the hexen2 code and here it is:

        err = hx2snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access (pcm, hw,
SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED);
        ALSA_CHECK_ERR(err, "unable to set interleaved access. %s\n",
hx2snd_strerror (err));

To me it looks like the ALSA pulse plugin does not support the
SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED parameter. My question here is there is
a way to make the game work with pulseaudio without modifying its
sources?