[pulseaudio-discuss] Splitting a sound card

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Aug 30 03:24:27 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:12:09PM +0200, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
> 	Sounds that it might work. However, I have tried this, and got
> the following warning:
>
> W: alsa-util.c: device doesn't support 4 channels, changed to 2.
>
> (even if I use only the "sink_name=headphones" line and not the other one).
> When I run alsamixer -Dhw:0, I can see I have the number of channels
> set up correctly to "4", and "Downmix" to "off".

Could it be that the soundcard (hw:0) is divided to two
subdevices (probably hw:0,0 and hw:0,1)? Pulseaudio defaults
to hw:0,0, so if do you say device=hw:0, does the
module-alsa-sink succeed to open all four channels? Or maybe
you are able to load two module-alsa-sinks, giving one of
them device=hw:0,0 and the other device=hw:0,1?

What does "cat /proc/asound/pcm" say?