[pulseaudio-discuss] Static when stream volume is at 100%

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Dec 17 15:04:53 PST 2007

I've just started noticing this recently, and I don't believe it was an
issue with 0.9.7 so I'm wondering if it was due to something introduced
in 0.9.8.

When playing streams at/close to 100% volume, I get some pretty nasty
static. Looking at pavumeter, it seems that anytime a channel goes over
~80% is when I hear the static. Setting a stream to a volume between 75
- 95% (depending on the source) makes the problem go away.

Just to make sure it wasn't the sound card doing it, I tried playing the
same song through mplayer, once using the pulse output, and once using
direct ALSA output along with pasuspender.

Any ideas?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837