[pulseaudio-discuss] default sink

Ritesh Kumar ritesh at cs.unc.edu
Mon Dec 17 15:07:38 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 11:29 AM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 01:23:53AM -0500, Ritesh Kumar wrote:
> > That works. However, now it seems that the current default sink is also
> used
> > for any new sink-inputs. I was hoping that the client would be
> associated to
> > the default sink when it connected and any new sink-inputs from the
> client
> > always went to that sink. Seems more intuitive, doesn't it?
>
> I'd say the intuitiveness depends on whether one's intuition
> says that the client connects to a sink (routing decision
> done at client connection time) or to the pulseaudio daemon
> (routing decision done at stream creation time). The
> asynchronous client API supports the view that client
> connects to the daemon, because the desired sink is supplied
> only when creating a new stream.

I guess you are right... probably I will write a module on the lines of
volume-restore to achieve the effect I need. I seems intuitive to me because
the media player that I use (quodlibet through alsa-pulse), creates a new
stream for every song (I don't know the details but I am guessing that every
media player may need to do this because different songs can have different
sample rates/formats). This causes subsequent songs from the same media
player to move to a different sink if the default sink is changed... which
in my view is non-intuitive :).

Thanks for your comments.

Ritesh