[pulseaudio-discuss] CPU usage when resampling

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 17 15:32:12 PST 2007

Hi,

Firstly a general thanks for your reply. I'll pass this info along to
the relevant parties.

Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> although I use it daily. (This was with GStreamer set again to use Alsa,
>> but I guess that means Alsa output was being intercepted by Pulseaudio,
>> as it was using CPU time again). Anyway, the sound stuttering also
>> happened to me yesterday when I was piping output directly to
>> Pulseaudio.
>
> Stuttering? Souns like you get buffer underruns. What kind of kernel
> is this? Please make sure to run a kernel with HZ=1000 and
> CONFIG_PREEMPT. If your kernel doesn't have that, then I kindly ask to
> change distribution to something that is more useful for desktop
> use. (i.e. install Fedora!)

Cheeky ;) The desktop kernel does have these settings, so that's not an
issue in this case.

>> alsa_output.pci_10de_59_alsa_playback_0 with sample spec s16le 2ch
>> 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
>> D: memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=70560, tlength=35280,
>> base=4, prebuf=33516, minreq=1764
>> D: memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=70560, tlength=35280,
>> base=4, prebuf=33516, minreq=1764
>>

>> Anyone have similar experience?
>
> No!

Glad to hear it. :)

I've not been able to reproduce personally either.  I'll pass your full
reply on the person having the troubles.

Thanks loads :)