[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Richi Plana richip at richip.dhs.org
Fri Dec 28 10:35:11 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 21:41 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
> > I should probably add that a machine's audio resources only becomes
> > available to others if 1) the firewall is inactive, and 2) it doesn't
> > "require authentication". But again, it only appears fleetingly.
> >
> > So now I've 3 problems:
> >
> > 1) How do I reconfigure the firewall so that it will allow PA services?
>
> You need to open port 5353/udp for avahi and port 4713/tcp for pulse.

I was hoping to help put a fix to fedora (via fedora-devel mailing
list), but I guess most of the packagers are still on Holidays. I asked
what the policy was with regards to apps asking for firewall policies to
be added for it and SELinux policies to be added, but haven't gotten a
response yet.

> > 3) How do I make the virtual device actual stick (instead of just
> > disappearing like that)?
>
> If this is 0.9.7 then I'm not really sure (as I wrote in my other mail),
> but hopfully I misread and you're actually using the 0.9.8 from rawhide
> and simply disabling the suspension of the device will work around it
> and patching will fix it.

[Copied from other email]
> Well if you were using 0.9.8 I would say yes I do know, but from this
> thread you appear to be using the stock 0.9.7 RH8 version right?
>
> To explain, in 0.9.8 the tunnel module (the module that pulse will
> automatically load when you have the "Make discoverable.....locally"
> option selected) has a slight bug whereby it is not fully updated for
> the added API signals.
>
> You can get around this by applying two patches:
> The first[1] one prevents a 0.9.8 server from issuing signals to a 0.9.7
> client. The second[2] patches the module tunnel to handle some of the
> 0.9.8 API but for the time being also pretends to be 0.9.7. Tehncially
> to just get things working, you only really need the bit of the second
> patch which changes the protocol number to 11.
>
> The whole issue revolves around the automatic suspension of access to
> the device so rather than patching you can just disable the automatic
> device suspension (e.g. tell pulse to hog the sound device).
>
> See:
> [1] http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/183
> [2]
> http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/pulseaudio/current/SOURCES/fix-tunnel-protocol.patch?view=markup

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous email. Yes, I am running
pulseaudio-0.9.8. I just recompiled the SRPM from rawhide (along with
patches which came with it). So I added your patch [2] and it didn't
seem to fix the issue of the fleeting virtual remote device. It would
still appear and disappear a second later.

I did, however, manage to get audio playing on a remote computer. I
enabled Multicast sink/source and managed to get audio playing from
viper to appear on duke. Unfortunately, the audio would come in pulses
(pulseaudio? :-p). I would hear music stuttering in for a second,
disappear for a second, then come back up repeatedly. I couldn't get
audio to go the other way via Multicast, though.

I am more confused than ever. If it helps any, these are the patches
applied to my version of 0.9.8:

Patch2: pulseaudio-0.9.8-fix-sample-upload.patch
Patch3: pulseaudio-0.9.8-unbreak-tunnels.patch
Patch4: pulseaudio-0.9.8-create-dot-pulse.patch
Patch5: pulseaudio-0.9.8-new-version.patch

Patch5 is your [2].
--

Richi Plana