[pulseaudio-discuss] Querying the number of samples played

Kevin Mescher kevin.mescher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 09:54:45 PST 2007

I've got an older application that originally wrote directly to the Solaris
audio hardware.  I'm trying to port it to using a Networked audio server.  I
got some preliminary results from Esound, but it doesn't work that well, and
I need more support.  But here's my issue:

The application sent data synchronously to the audio device, and used the
sample count (accessed via Solaris' info.play.samples) to determine where to
put the marker on its waveform display.  It was pretty simple, and the logic
went:

if there are less than 1000 samples remaining to be played (samples sent -
the value of info.play.samples), send more data.

When I modified the code to use Esound, I returned 0 to the routine asking
how many samples were still in the buffer.  The marker was running WAY too
fast.

I'm guessing the marker on the waveform is tied to how often data is sent
out.

I'd like to make as little code change as possible to the application.  Can
anybody suggest a solution?