[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA with Pulseaudio in Debian Etch

Alex Malinovich alex at malinovich.name
Thu Feb 15 23:59:39 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 21:58 -0500, Paul Jones wrote:
--snip--
> You should add to the wiki that you have to specify "pulse" as the
> device in Avidemux preferences. Unless, you think that is a little too
> obvious.

Well, the wiki is, after all, a wiki, so have at it! :) That's how
wiki's get better, by all of us contributing our little bit to it.

> I even got flash working in Iceweasel which was a bit more
> complicated, and I may post that in a How-To on the Debian forums.

I think there's already a bit on the PerfectSetup page dealing with
getting Iceweasel/Firefox to work with Pulse, and I believe Flash
follows that. In either case, add a note about what you learned if it
hasn't already been covered.

> On the other hand, I think I am going to take a stab in the dark here
> and see if anyone knows how to get the NES Emulator Mednafen to work
> with Pulseaudio. It gives me the following error message. It gives a
> similar error message when I specify "pulse" as its device, except it
> says "operation not permitted."
>
> Using "ALSA" audio driver with device "hw":ALSA Error:
> snd_pcm_open(&alsa_pcm, id ? id : "hw:0", SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK, 0)
> Device or resource busy
> Error opening a sound device.

Try using padsp as a wrapper. So when you run Mednafen, do something
along the lines of "padsp mednafen". You may need to tell Mednafen to
use OSS for that portion of it to work. That's what I've been using for
uae (the Amiga emulator) and it works just fine for me.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837