[pulseaudio-discuss] Source->Sink Routing

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 11 17:13:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11.07.07 17:07, Justin Tulloss (jmtulloss at gmail.com) wrote:

> If I'm just going from 1 source to 1 sink, do I need to worry about
> deviating crystals? Won't they just read and write data at the pace that
> makes them happy, with the remainder sitting in a buffer?

If capturing is faster than playback the buffer will grow larger and
larger. Depending on the quality of your hardware this might get quite
annyoing already after an hour or so.

If capturing is slower than playback then you will have playback
interruptions all the time, which is even mor annoying.

Also note that quite a lot of newer soundcards (among them intel HDA)
have seperate crystals for playback and recording which are not
synchronised. (traditionally duplex soundcards used the same xtal for
input and output. This seems no longer be true)

YMMV.