[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatically create ALSA devices

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 06:45:37 PDT 2007

Most apps don't have a UI for setting their pulse source/sink but they
do have a UI for picking an ALSA device. Could pulse automatically
create ALSA entries for the pulse devices using the HAL info.product
attribute? This would be a transition tool while we wait for more apps
to get a pulse UI.

Dynamically create the equivalent of these entries so that when I plug
in new USB device a new ALSA device gets created.

pcm.philips_usb {  <= use HAL pretty name
    type pulse
    device alsa_output.usb_device_471_155_noserial_if0_alsa_playback_0
}

ctl.philips_usb {
    type pulse
    device alsa_output.usb_device_471_155_noserial_if0_alsa_playback_0
}

pcm.ICH5 {
    type pulse
    device alsa_output.pci_device_8086_24d6_alsa_playback_0
}

ctl.ICH5 {

--
Jon Smirl