[pulseaudio-discuss] CPU usage of pulse audio-0.9.5-r4 is at 25-30%

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Fri Jul 13 14:54:22 PDT 2007

Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> This is probably related to the fragment settings that have been
> chosen by PA. The smaller the sound card fragment sizes are the higher
> will be your CPU load. Its a tradeoff between latency and CPU
> load. You can pass different fragment settings to the ALSA or OSS
> modules of pa and thus influence the CPU load.

I did some very basic profiling on one of my slower boxes and PA is
spending a lot of time in one of libsamplerate's functions.

It looked to me as though PA was doing resampling/conversions when both
the card and stream are standard 44.1k 16bit samples (from mp3s and CD).

Lennart, I'll be going to Guadec on Sunday, I'd like to show this to you
if you're interested.

Cheers,

Rémi