[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Skype

frank at sudo.hu frank at sudo.hu
Mon Jul 16 07:20:53 PDT 2007

Hi List,
I'm trying to get Skype (1.4.0.74) work with PulseAudio  (0.95) on
Ubuntu 7.04 with little to no avail.

Here's what I've conducted so far:
- Every application which officially works with PulseAudio works just
fine (including aplay).
- I see the "pulse" virtual device I created in asound.conf (and
.asoundrc for that matter too). When I select that, Skype can play the
test sound once, but every other subsequent tries of this fail. After
it's started I don't hear the callee and the ring tone either, but he
can hear me.

- Here is what strace gives me:
open("/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_ASYNC) = -1 EBUSY (Device
or resource busy)
open("/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_ASYNC) = -1 EBUSY (Device
or resource busy)
open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDWR)      = 3

Question: Why does Skype try to access these devices directly, when it's
supposed to use an audio server? I can even see it registered with
PulseAudio in the manager app.

Any hints are welcome.
Frank