[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio network and wireless problem

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:50:01 PDT 2007

> On Friday 20 July 2007 15:35:39 Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I've got a problem when using pulseaudio server via wireless.
> > > Here's the situation:
> > >
> > > 1- PC A - pulseaudio server, connected by cable to other PCs using a
> > > switch 2- PC B - a notebook, connected to LAN with cable o wifi
> > >
> > > When I use amarok (on my notebook PC A) and pulseaudio server (on PC A)
> > > using the cable, everything is fine. When I use wifi connection, each
> > > some minutes sound goes away and returns after 1/3 seconds as if
> > > connection is lost. I tried to change every option in daemon.conf, but
> > > nothing changes. Can you help me to understand what it's wrong?
> >
> > Something is generating radio interference (microwave, cordless phone,
> > baby monitor, etc). You don't notice the problem when browsing since
> > the site just takes a little longer to respond. Get rid of your 2.4Ghz
> > cordless phones and buy 5.8Ghz ones.
> >
> > In the short run try changing the channel at your wireless access
> > point to channel 1. That will help but it won't fix the problem.
> >
> Thanks for your quick reply. I tried to switch off my mobile phone, move my
> wifi device, away from other devices, change channel, but the problem still
> remains. I really don't understand what the hell is.
> I'll try more change and I'll inform you.

Interference can be coming from outside of the house. Some airplane
and weather radars are in same band. Neighbor's 2.4Ghz phone is also a
good candidate. The external signal is not enough for you to receive
it, but it is enough to interfere.

It you use 5.8Ghz wifi the interference problem is not as bad. Another
solution is 802.11N. 802.11N is a more powerful signal that overcomes
a lot of the sources of interference. Of course these are more
expensive.

This is a known problem with 802.11g networks.