[pulseaudio-discuss] No Use for SUID

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 24 17:46:02 PDT 2007

On Fri, 13.07.07 03:21, Esben Stien (b0ef at esben-stien.name) wrote:

> It's not necessary to install pulseaudio SUID. All platforms support
> PAM to acquire SCHED_FIFO.

I have to investigate this further.

On the first look it seems to me as if the PAM way adds rt privs
globally to a specific user. Using the rt-pulse group stuff OTOH
limits realtime rights to pulseaudio and nothing else.

I am not sure if this is reason enough to keep pulse-rt around, since
PA should not be considered a "trusted" program.

I will look into this. A possible compromise would of course be to
allow both ways.