[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatically create ALSA devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 24 17:55:58 PDT 2007

On Fri, 13.07.07 09:45, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> Most apps don't have a UI for setting their pulse source/sink but they
> do have a UI for picking an ALSA device. Could pulse automatically
> create ALSA entries for the pulse devices using the HAL info.product
> attribute? This would be a transition tool while we wait for more apps
> to get a pulse UI.
>
> Dynamically create the equivalent of these entries so that when I plug
> in new USB device a new ALSA device gets created.

It shouldn't be too difficult to write a tiny PA module for this which
spits out a alsa config file which could then be included in the main
alsa config file.

Would be pretty nifty. And especially useful for PA virtual devices.

I posted this as feature request bug http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/109
so that I don't forget.

Happy to accepted patches ;-)

Thanks,