[pulseaudio-discuss] Remembering volume setting for an app

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 30 10:52:28 PDT 2007

On Mon, 30.07.07 13:23, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 7/30/07, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If you load module-volume-restore into PA it will automatcially
> > > save and restore the volume for you.
> > >
> > > http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-volume-restore
> >
> > It is loaded. Where does it save the settings? Maybe it doesn't have
> > permission to write.
>
> It's remembering the master volume for the device, just not the volume
> for the stream/device pairs.

That is not true. It stores the volume of each stream, and doesn't
store volumes of sinks/sources.

You might however have encountered an diffrent issue. Right now, if pa
connects to X11 pa it will be shut down forcibly by libX11 when the
session ends and thus it doesn't have time to save the collected
volume data. And on your next login nothing is going to be restored.

I guess in the long run I have to hook into the X session management
protocol stuff (XSMP) to be able to save all data before bloody libX11
wants to kill me. It's a pitty that such a workaround is necessary,
but yeah, what can I say. It's X11... This is now on my todo
list. High-priority but not the top item.