[pulseaudio-discuss] Stream Class in PulseCore

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 30 15:32:20 PDT 2007

On Thu, 12.07.07 16:12, Justin Tulloss (jmtulloss at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

> Right now I'm using the names of streams to indicate class. I was wondering
> if, going forward, there would be support for adding a "class" tag to all
> streams, along with the accompanying facilities to control streams by class
> instead of just by name.

My plan is to add the ability to attach a complete set of meta
information to each stream. Besides a "class" (which i called "role")
this would be among other stuff:

IDENTIFIER
NAME
DESCRIPTION
CLIENT_IDENTIFIER
CLIENT_NAME
CLIENT_DESCRIPTION
ROLE
X11_DISPLAY
X11_WINDOW
LANGUAGE
ICON_DATA
ICON_NAME
ICON_FILE
PROCESS_ID

This set of course would be extensible, a little bit like X11
properties. The properties we already have (like the name) should the
be folded into this set of properties.

This information can be used for a10y stuff, for "window managers for
sound" and for fixed policy routing.

As next step we would than add some kind of policy language which
could be used to specify the routing of streams. I envision something
similar to HAL .fdi files, though hopefully easier to optimize.

But anyway, right now I am focused on the real-time lock-free
stuff. This stuff is probably th next thing I will focus on.

> Also, if people do want to see this, would the lead development team
> (Lennart, as far as I know), be willing to accept patches to the current
> trunk that would enable the support, or is all development going forward
> going to be in the lennart branch?

Everything that is more than simple bug fixing should go only into the
"lennart" branch.