[pulseaudio-discuss] PA_REALTIME_GROUP not honored if over 1000

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 30 21:41:52 PDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> This was intended to be a protection against misuse of this
> feature. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea.
> --snip--
> I wonder though how much value there still is in the pulse-rt stuff
> given that we now have the ability to set rt privs via PAM.

Thanks for your info.  I'm of two minds here: the PAM limit module does
seem to be a good solution.  On a shared server, like in an instructional
lab with undergraduates who like to hack, one probably wouldn't want to
allow any realtime scheduling or renicing, whereas on a personal machine
you would be more likely to open this up for everyone.  But would it be
sufficient, do you think, to just let the sysop turn on the setUID bit, or
not, and maintain the state via /etc/permissions.local?

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)