[pulseaudio-discuss] amd64, pulseaudio, and nspluginwrapper

Alex Malinovich alex at malinovich.name
Tue Mar 6 12:02:56 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 15:01 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > I THINK that what's going on is that the wrapper is trying to call the
> > 32-bit sound libraries, and there are no 32-bit compatibility libraries
> > for pulse (at least in Debian). Does anyone know if this is the case,
> > and if so, how to get around it? Is it possible to build a
> > pulseaudioia32 or something similar? This is the last remaining step for
> > me in the Perfect Setup. Any ideas?
>
>  That would be quite logical indeed; it would be nice to confirm what is
>  missing (I suppose libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so isn't loadable), and
>  file bugs against the package which could provide such a support.

There's already a bug filed for it (#407070), unfortunately the ALSA
maintainers seem to know about as much about biarch builds as me, which
is to say virtually nothing. (See first response to 407070)

>  Theoritically, everything should be in ia32-libs or ia32-libs-gtk,
>  however there are two different things with alsa:
>  - alsa is built as biarch, that is the 32-bits compatibility package is
>    built on amd64 (other libs are simply built on i386 and copied
>    manually in the amd64 package), in lib32asound2; hence, it would be
>    logical to build libasound2-plugins as bi-arch as well, I don't know
>    whether it is the case, or why it isn't

This is what I'm going to be trying now that I've had my 5 hours of
sleep... :) If I can get a working build I'll submit a patch for the bug
report so we can hopefully get it included in the archive. As you seem
to know considerably more about bi-arch stuff any help on the subject or
any suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

>  - libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so being a plugin, lib32asound2 needs to
>    be patched to lookup for 32-bits compatibility plugins under a
>    different location, for example it should attempt to load plugins
>    from /usr/lib32/alsa-lib _first_, then fallback to /usr/lib/alsa-lib;
>    unless it does so already; a strace should confirm this

I'm hoping that it already knows to look in the 32-bit library
locations, because otherwise the lib32asound2 package would be, in my
opinion, just plain broken.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837