[pulseaudio-discuss] Jack with Pulseaudio

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Tue Mar 20 05:28:49 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 01:02:40AM -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
> Can someone assist me or point me towards directions to get Jack and
> Pulseaudio to work together.!! I can't fine info anywhere!!

I don't have a link to HOWTO, but it's fairly simple. Here's the basic
run-down for Debian Etch systems. AFAIK this should also work as is for
Ubuntu Feisty systems.

Prerequisites:

* jackd and pulseaudio must both run as a normal user. To run jackd as a
  regular un-privileged user in Debian you need to add the following lines
  to /etc/security/limits.conf

###
@audio - rtprio 100
@audio - nice -20
@audio - memlock 452192
###

  And then logout and log back in.

* pulseaudio must be run *without* the suid bit set. This is because
  pulseaudio drops privileges that module-jack-* needs if run as suid. So
  remove the suid bit:

$ sudo chmod -s /usr/bin/pulseaudio

  pulseaudio will still be able to run realtime if you have the limits.conf
  setup for jackd.

Create a jack specific pulseaudio config file:

* Copy your distro's default pulseaudio config file to your home directory.

$ cp /etc/pulse/default.pa ~/jackd.pa

* Edit jackd.pa and remove any module-hal-detect, module-detect,
  module-alsa-* and module-oss-* lines.

* Add these two lines to the beginning of jackd.pa

###
load-module module-jack-sink
load-module module-jack-source
###

Start both daemons as a regular user and start the jack transport:

* Start up jackd

$ jackd -R -d alsa

* Start up pulseaudio with the new jackd.pa config

$ pulseaudio -n -F /home/user/jackd.pa

  You have to use the full path to the *.pa file.

* Start the jack transport rolling

$ jack_transport
> start

  or, if you don't have jack_transport, you can use qjackctl or patchage.
  This step is a bit controversial and probably shouldn't be necessary, but
  that's just the way it is right now.

If these instructions work for you, it would be great if you could write up
a wiki page at www.pulseaudio.org for others to find. :D

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com