[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:55:03 PST 2007

On November 16, 2007 07:59:35 pm Nix wrote:
> Well it works for me without any of the problems you've mentioned.
>
> Which apps are you seeing this behaviour with? How are they talking to
> the sound system? (ALSA, OSS, native PulseAudio...)

Well, the way I've setup is launch pulseaudio as the systemwide daemon with
alsa-sink module while ALSA is configured  to use pulseaudio as the default
driver.

I have left all the multimedia apps at their default audio setup which happens
to be auto for most while, I've setup the others to use alsa as the default
audio driver.

For eg. xine and all the apps using the xine engine use the "auto" setup for
audio while, I've setup mplayer and avidemux to use alsa.

The above setup works perfectly well, if I stop using pulseaudio and leaving
alsa as the only audio server. With pulseaudio as the system daemon the
earlier mentioned problmes start to appear. Almost all the apps complain
about the audio device being not available.  Amarok also, complains the same
but, at times it doesn't and there's no sound output though, I can see that
the file is being played.

I've just setup pulseaudio to launch as per user instance and quite
surprisingly (or may be not ?), all the apps are working just perfect ! :-)

I guess, the problem lies with pulseaudio running as the system daemon !?

Anyways, thank everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kevin