[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with 0.9.7 and Audacious

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 19 17:09:06 PST 2007

On Fri, 16.11.07 17:05, Hasse Hagen Johansen (hasse-pulse at hagenjohansen.dk) wrote:

Hi!

> I have stuttering(short pauses about every second) sound when using
> audacious with its pulseaudio plugin. I have tried to set the buffer
> size in audacious up, but it didn't make a difference. I have looked
> at the source package for the audacious-plugins(on ubuntu 7.10). And I
> cannot find so much difference between the xmms-pulse 0.9.7 and the
> one in my source package(I only seem to don't have the ifdef's for
> Beep media player. And the about plugin thing that the players can
> display..license etc.)
>
> XMMS can play without stuttering and I can use audacious with the
> alsa-pulse plugin without stuttering also.
>
> Any suggestions about what could the cause of this stuttering? I think
> it is a little strange as the xmms-pulse and audacious-pulse plugin is
> nearly identically

No idea, but consider talking to the Audacious people. If they took
the code I wrote for xmms-pulse and adopted it to audacious and they
broke it there they are probably they ones to talk to for fixing it.

I am not using audcacious myself. However, a while ago the BEEP
people send me the patch (which I applied) to make xmms-pulse build
for both XMMS and BEEP. So I am quite sure that back then it
worked on BEEP and XMMS. If it doesn't work on Audacious (which is a
fork of BEEP if I am right), then they broke something. And they
probably know better what they broke than I ever could.