[pulseaudio-discuss] pasuspender keeps pulse suspended indefinitely

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 20 10:14:44 PST 2007

On Fri, 02.11.07 17:23, Alex Malinovich (demonbane at the-love-shack.net) wrote:

> I've been playing with pasuspender for a few of my broken alsa-apps that
> demand to talk directly to the hardware with pretty good results.
> Unfortunately, it seems to keep pulse suspended indefinitely. After
> closing the application that I used it on I can't play any pulse sounds.
> paplay or aplay using a pulse device both just hang. Using aplay with -D
> plughw works just fine though. Yet I don't have a running pasuspender
> showing up in my ps output, and I don't have any alsa apps running
> either.

Hmm, this looks as if some app is still keeping the PCM devices open
after terminating. Maybe some subprocess has been spawned off that
keeps the device open?

> Doing a 'pactl suspend-sink 0' seems to release it again, but this seems
> rather like a bug to me.

Try running "pulseaudio -vv". It should be a little bit more verbose
about the reason why the resuming of the audio device didn't work for
pasuspender.