[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as?the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:55:54 PST 2007

On November 20, 2007 03:14:47 pm Lennart Poettering wrote:
> The suspend timeout is controlled via the "timeout" parameter of
> module-suspend-on-idle.

I commented that line out now and it still doesn't help in anyway !

Running xine with verbose mode gives me the following messages:
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Invalid argument
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Invalid argument
AFD changed from -2 to -1

---------------------- (ERROR) ----------------------
The audio device is unavailable. Please verify if another program already uses
it.

['Audio device unavailable' '']
------------------ (END OF ERROR) -------------------

---------------------- (ERROR) ----------------------
The audio device is unavailable. Please verify if another program already uses
it.

['Audio device unavailable' '']
------------------ (END OF ERROR) -------------------

*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Invalid argument
AFD changed from -2 to -1
################SNIP##########################

My guess is that, pulseaudio is not fast enough to respond to the clients
requests as hitting next/previous with a brief pause say 6-7 seconds does not
produce any error message nor does make it the app crash. Hitting
next/previous in quick succession gurantees the error messages followed by a
craash. Hitting next/previous with a gap less than 6 seconds produces the
error message most of the time. But, anything less than 3 secs would
definitely produce those errors.

As I've mentioned before, all the apps work fine when using alsa or arts
without pulseaudio. Hitting next/previous in rapid succession doesn't cause
any problems and it works.

Any pointers ? Should you need more info I'd be glad to provide.

Thanks.

Kevin