[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] PulseAudio 0.9.8

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 28 09:32:02 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> ..., because it is so broken that it hurts. (And I am now putting
> a brown paperbag on my head).

I have a big differential geometry project, and each module has a test
program.  The makefile is set up so modules are built and tested in
dependency order, and my standard procedure is to just do "make test" every
time, so if I have to hack a supposedly finished module, the complete test
is re-run automatically, and "make" stops at that point until I've fixed
whatever new bug I introduced.

I wonder if a similar set of tests could be created for PulseAudio, perhaps
using a custom (or off-the-shelf?) ALSA capture plugin.  Creating the tests
takes considerable work, but 30 seconds of automated testing could be as or
more effective than hours of manual attention to detail repeated on every
bug addition.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)