[pulseaudio-discuss] PA with Gnome 2.20

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 16 15:40:33 PDT 2007

On Tue, 16.10.07 15:28, Alex Malinovich (demonbane at the-love-shack.net) wrote:

> So now that Gnome finally has native support for pulse I've noticed some
> annoying behavior.
>
> I have a shell script that I put together that will kill pulse and
> restart it with one of a number of different configurations depending on
> what I'm doing. That works great with pretty much everything EXCEPT for
> Gnome. When I first log in all of the system sounds work fine. But after
> the first time I restart pulse, all the system sounds stop working.

This is most likely due to the way libgnome works: open one connection
to PA (which cloaks as esd) and keep it open all the time. If that
connection is closed, you don't get any sound events.

> Anyone have any suggestions on getting around that? Or does anyone know
> the technical reasons for why that's happening so I can file a bug
> report? Thanks.

Why do you start/stop PA all the time? If you are running PA 0.9.7
(from SVN) the much cleaner solution would be to use pasuspender to
temporarily suspend PA from accessing the audio devices.