[pulseaudio-discuss] Using PulseAudio in Windows

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Sep 3 12:47:24 PDT 2007

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 30.08.07 13:33, Alex Malinovich (demonbane at the-love-shack.net) wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> What I'd like to get is some feedback from some of the PA gurus here on
>> the Pulse-related stuff in the post. Primarily the second half of the
>> document (after "Update"). This was the best way that I could find to do
>> what I wanted, but I keep thinking that there must be a better way, so
>
> I have no experience with running PA on windows. However, reading
> through that story I wonder what the point is in configuring
> module-waveout twice: once for loading it on-demand ("auto"), and once
> for loading it statically?

That was a case of me blindly editing the sample w32 config file without
thinking about what each line does. :) Fixed.

> Why do you load the simple protocol? It's merely a toy.

See above. :)

> And if you want to kill PA cleanly, just connect to the CLI port and
> issue an "exit" command. Apparently you are loading the CLI protocol
> anyway, so this is quite easy.

I have been trying to figure out a way to do this cleanly from the
command line (specifically from within a batch file) with no luck.
Windows doesn't come with netcat by default, and while there is a netcat
implementation for Windows I don't want to automate this in a way that
requires any additional software if possible. And as far as I can tell,
there is now way to tell telnet in Windows to connect to a host and
automatically execute a command.

If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this in an automated manner
from within a Windows shell please let me know.

> BTW: pulseaudio.org is a publicly editable Wiki. You might want to
> edit it and add a link to your blog story, maybe somehwere under
> "Documentation"!

That's a good idea. I'll add it on there as soon as I get the entry all
cleaned up with your suggested changes. Thanks for the help!

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837