[pulseaudio-discuss] Listening to the RTP stream

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Sep 4 04:36:16 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 19:11:47 +0200, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 03.09.07 13:49, Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw at lug-owl.de) wrote:
>
> > I played with the RTP sending module a bit. Seems to work, at least
> > there's a RTP stream coming out of the box :)
> >
> > However, are there alternative ways to listen to this/these streams
> > except using the receiver module? Eg. in theory, mplayer should be
> > able to listen to this stream, but it seems to have problems
> > recognizing the contents. How do I actually tell it to use a specific
> > PCM format?
>
> Hmm. Good question. This used to work out of the box. We use the
> standard type descriptors for S16BE uncompressed audio. Nothing
> special, very basic stuff.

"descriptors are in rtsp:// not in rtp://" is the answer[1] from the
mplayer mailing list.  But the rtp module only send RTP, not RTSP,
right?

>From looking at the RTP RFCs, the "payload type" was probably ment,
instead of "type descriptors"?

> Another client for RTP that works fine is "dumprtp" from the dvbstream
> package. And I heard some people had success with VLC.

This indeed works, but is less convenient :)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              Fortschritt bedeutet, einen Schritt so zu machen,