[pulseaudio-discuss] wiki perfectsetup for skype: solution doesn't work

vatbier vatbier at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 14:17:27 PDT 2008

--- vatbier <vatbier at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you're running skype all the time (like me, from login to logout,
> if you want to be able to receive skype calls), the momentarily
> suspension of pulseaudio becomes indefinitely. So pulseaudio becomes
useless.

I found this additional info in the skype forums:
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=112021&hl=pulseaudio
Andypoo, a Skype staff member, gives some info about the problem. And
someone found a solution to let pulseaudio and skype work together (by
making PulseAudio support dmix):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4526841#post4526841
But he notes this though:"PulseAudio's module-suspend-idle has a bug
when you get PulseAudio to use dmix. Some assertion failure while
starting up. If you don't kill PulseAudio once it has managed to start
up though, it should be quite stable. But getting it to even start up
is a hit or miss for me. The quick fix is of course to not load
module-suspend-idle, but on my system, dmix begins crackling if it
isn't released after a very long period of time."